Ultrafine Metal Finishing... "Durasurf"?

1998

Hello, about 15 years ago I read about a non-abrasive "ultrafine metal finishing" process that used chemicals and ultrasonics. So smooth was that result that valve springs from motorcycle racing engines were no longer subject to breaking under extreme RPM conditions. Photographs of the springs and other objects were quite impressive. As I recall, the process went under the name of "Durasurf." Does anyone recall what happen to them, or if a similar process currently exists?

I am interested in using a process like this for polishing the impellers and turbines in automotive turbochargers.

Gross Scruggs
nps.navy.mil

1998

I do not know the supplier of the "Durasurf" process, but I do know of companies with physicochemical processes for ultra smooth refining/polishing of metal surfaces. This is inclusive of turbine blades in jet engines, ground base steam turbines and auto engine components.

Good luck,
Bill

Bill Boatright
Morrisville, North Carolina

1998

The process you have in mind may have involved electropolishing. Electropolishing smoothes metal parts without abrasives, leaving the surface stress-relieved. A number of proprietary studies have been done with springs, engine parts, gears, etc., and most show improved wear life after electropolishing.

We have sold electropolishing chemicals and equipment for twenty years, however, and the Durasurf name is unknown to us.

Ed Bayha
Metal Coating Process Corporation - Charlotte, North Carolina

The Durasurf process was used in the racing industry to treat axle gears and bearings. I saw an ad in the past 4 years for the process. Originally the company was selling the equipment. A few years latter, I saw that they had stopped and required customers to ship their products for treatment. I believe they were out of South Carolina, but I'm not positive on this.

Jerry Villines
- Stillwater, Oklahoma