World's #1 on-line resource since 1989

-----

Titanium information needed

2002

Hello sir,

I am a high school student doing a report on Titanium. When I put the word "titanium" in a search, all I really get are ads for golf clubs and things of that sort. Well, I was wondering if you could send me some information regarding chemical composition, how it is formed, uses, where it is found, how much it costs and the demand for it (increasing or decreasing).

Thank you for your help in advance.

Sincerely,

Robert Aguilar
- Des Plaines, Illinois, U.S.A

2002

"Materials Science and Engineering"

Robert hi,

I am an Aerospace engineering student on here also. I saw your request and thought I could help. Ti chemical composition: Atomic# 22, A weight 47.88 amu (atomic mass units), Density @20°C 4.51g/cm^3 low density metal, Crystal structure @20°C HCP(Hexagonal Close Pack) To draw this structure: 1)draw a hexagon on its side, place an "atom" at each of the 6 points and one in the middle 2) draw a triangle above that, place an atom at each corner 3)above that repeat one. Atomic Radius .145 nm, Ionic radius .068 nm, most common valence 4+, melting point 1668 °C. I don't have any info on where it is formed sorry. I would guess an ore of some kind.

Ti has many uses. I recommend going to your local library at school or community and checking out "Materials Science and Engineering An Introduction" fifth edition by William D Callister Jr =>
It is my Text book for Material Science. Look up Titanium in the index it has uses in hip replacements, jet engine parts, superconductors and armor plating. Very interesting.

I hope this helped.

Bradley Bridgham
- Daytona Beach, Florida

First of two simultaneous responses -- 2002

When I was a young man there was a term called "the big lie". The whopper of all time has to be that computers are improving children's education :-)

Unfortunately it allows them to very easily write answers when they don't even understand the question, and prepare an essay in 10 minutes but that they won't remember 10 minutes later :-( Ted Mooney, finishing.com Teds signature

Second of two simultaneous responses -- 2002

If you must use the computer rather than a library, tighten up your search parameters so that you do not get 60,000 worthless hits. Your search engine HELP section will tell you how. Most of what you are looking for is in an old fashioned encyclopedia. My guess is that you have one that came with your computer if you are allergic to libraries.

2002

Hi Robert,

Go to www.webelements.com. It's an excellent chem site for the beginners. Have fun!

Young Tran
- Plymouth

2004

I'm in 8th grade and also doing a research paper on titanium. First of all, it might help to modify your search. For example: Titanium element. It helps filter out some irrelevant links. For some info: as strong as steel but 45% lighter. white metal. 60% heavier than aluminum, although only twice as strong. 0.63% of earth's crust. found on sun, moon(12% in rock samples taken from the moon), meteors, and, of course, earth. if mixed with 2 parts oxygen forms oxide that varies color. 4th most abundant metal. 9th most abundant element. discovered in 1791 by Gregor. named in 1795 by Klaproth. If scratched, immediately restored when comes in contact with air or water. I hope this is of some help.

Good luck on your report!

Shay [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- USA