World's #1 on-line resource since 1989

-----

Bacteria and the oxidation process

2002

I recently heard that some large chunks of rust that were found all over the sunken Titanic ship were full of iron bacteria. I propose to find out if the normal rusting process of iron depends on bacterial action. If bacteria are not present, will iron rust very slowly? I think I can determine the answer by using iron nails without a rust resistant coating. By placing a nail in distilled water, an oxidation process should occur between the iron metal the oxygen in the water. Would it make a difference to the oxidation process if I placed the same type of nail in a jar of antibacterial hand sanitizer?

Christina Harview
- Richmond, Virginia

2003

What did you find out and what was your hypothesis? How will what you found out help others around us?

Hannah Heredia
- Yuma, Arizona, USA