World's #1 on-line resource since 1989

-----

Eye problems in the pool

2002

While swimming in the pool the attendant dumped a gallon of Muriatic Acid [affil. link to info/product on Amazon] in the pool. I experienced a sharp burning in my eye. Could the acid be the cause. When I went to the doctor she said I had an abrasion on the eyeball. I had no problem with this before the incident. Oh yes the pool is average size.

Patricia Ann Stevens
- Okeechobee, Florida

2002

How do you know it was muriatic acid? Did the pool attendant pour it directly out of a labeled container, or warn you about it? It sounds strange that he would let you into the pool before the acid was fully dispersed. Yes, muriatic acid could certainly burn your eyes.