World's #1 on-line resource since 1989

-----

The effect salt and other contaminants have on rusting

2002

To Whom it may concern,

I am doing a Science Fair project for my biology class, and my topic is: "The Effect salt and other contaminants have on the rate of rusting". I am not sure where to search for research. I was wondering if you could give me a list of sources I would look for research. Moreover, I would like to know the what type of metals I would use for my topic.

Thank you Sincerely,

Monique
Columbus High School - Columbus, Georgia, America

2002

Experimental results should be independently verifiable, Monique. To make that easy, use a readily available and duplicable material like nails as the metal -- preferably iron nails (maybe masonry nails) that are not plated or galvanized. Put some in fresh water and some in salt water and see what happens.