World's #1 on-line resource since 1989

-----

Cement Statues for Garden

2002

I bought unpainted cement statues for the garden in Missouri. I have been to 3 craft stores (in the Chicago area) and can't get any information on what kind of primers or paints to use. I would be grateful if you could tell me what kind of primer and what kind of paint to use.

Thank-you,

Darlene Wolf
- Franklin Pk, Illinois, USA

2003

I basically have the same question as to what primer or masonry sealer and paint I should use. My statue is painted already, but the paint is popping off. I don't think the statue was seasoned or sealed to begin with. I already have the stripping solution for masonry. Please let me know what to use and the procedures.

Deborah B. Bayol
- Reston, Virginia

2005

Hi. I worked for a shop owner in Hartville painting cement statues for people. I cannot remember the name of the primer, but I used a masonry primer. I first cleaned the cement well, let it fully dry and then applied the primer. I did not like working with oil based paints, and used acrylics ... however, I believe oil based paints would serve you better. When I was finished, I sprayed the entire piece with Marine Spar Varnish. I hope this helps.

Rebecca Williams
- Hartville, Ohio, USA

2006

I want to paint a cement dog, but cannot find the acrylics I need in a large or pint size. So sure could use some help I went to a paint store last and they had me buying about 5 different Paints . NO I don't think so. There has to be a easier and cheaper way to do this. Thank you

Jackie Bristow
- Lubbock, Texas

2006

I love to paint cement statues and have been doing so for more than 25 years.
I use Deco Art Patio Paint [affil. link to info/product on Amazon], check at a craft store. (they have a clear coat, which you put on first, then the paint and then the coat again) if you are doing a small statue, this is a great way to go.

I also use acrylics & I will mix them with the patio paints--to get other colors;

I use some masonry paints (but you have to buy in bigger containers) but you can also mix acrylic paints with them & get other colors (Walmart has an exterior paint that is great & you can get great colors); mccloskeys is also a masonry paint base--check your Walmart--this is where I first discovered it for a great price.

I have used Rustoleum once and 18 years later, its never needed painting again--but its in shade and somewhat protected.

I used to use spar varnish--a marine boat varnish--on anything not white--it yellows, but in the past year I have had problems with it flaking.

We now use Cure Coat--which we found at a home improvement center--but also discovered at one of the local paint stores. cure coat is a masonry/cement/brick sealer. cure coat cleans up with warm soapy water.

I also use a cement sealer, that cleans up with lacquer thinner [affil. link to info/product on Amazon] --both seem to work fine.

We use a cement/masonry primer--also cleans up with lacquer thinner--once its dry--usually an hour or so--you can start painting.

If the paint is flaking from another paint job--you should remove the flakes--but I've never stripped the whole statue down--its a personal choice tho.

If your statue has been sitting out in the yard and getting lots of weather for more than 6 months--my father-in-law told me an old painters trick was to wash the statue down in bleach--let it soak in, and then wipe off and let it dry; your primer and paint should then stick.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Tamra Serroni
- Grants Pass, Oregon

I own a retail nursery and would like to carry a group of cement figurines that I cannot seem to locate the source. The size is approximately 15 inches with old looking paint. The figure I have seen is sitting and playing the picolo. Anybody have any ideas about who makes this product?

Dirk Winter
seller - Cambria, California, USA

Try Continental Craft , located in Chicago.

Michael Partipilo
- Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A.