World's #1 on-line resource since 1989

-----

Failure of Ti Ni on GsxR 1000 fork legs

2002

I have a Suzuki GsxR 1000 which has Titanium Nitrate front fork legs. The gold coloring is wearing off after 10000 kms..Suzuki NZ have told me the gold is a colour only and has nothing to do with the Ti Ni at all, and that the intended performance properties of the coating is still intact under the gold coloring. The idea behind the Ti Ni is a decrease in friction, or Stiction as they like to call it. Can anyone confirm the Gold is colour only or is it as I think, the actual Ti Ni.

Dan Meredith
- Auckland, New Zealand

First of two simultaneous responses -- 2002

I can't confirm what the titanium nitride is supposed to do, but I can confirm that it is gold in color and that if the surface is no longer gold in color then the surface is no longer titanium nitride.

Second of two simultaneous responses -- 2002

Dan, when you are talking about a thin gold colored coating, you are talking about titanium nitride, TiN, and not titanium nickel, or TiNi. Physical vapor deposition, a vacuum process, of TiN has become a pretty common way of giving a gold to brassy color (you can adjust the color by co-depositing ZrN or other similar compounds) that has good lubricity and wear resistance. Yet the color you see is the coating, and when you no longer see the color, you no longer have the coating. It does not penetrate the surface, nor provide any subsurface enhancement.

Oh, and 'stiction' is a term we and others use as well, referring to the ease of getting something at rest to move...

lee gearhart
Lee Gearhart
metallurgist - E. Aurora, New York