World's #1 on-line resource since 1989

-----

Getting lead out of bronze castings

2002

We have bronze valve castings that we would like to get to prevent the lead from leaching into the water system. I have heard about Acid Washing, but have no information on it. What is Acid Washing? What companies have the capability to do this process?

Steve Ledermann
- St. Pauls, North Carolina

2002

I haven't heard the term "acid washing", but it sounds like what you want to do is to remove the lead from the surface of the casting by dissolution into hydrofluoric acid. Just about any plating shop or metal finishing shop which is willing to use hydrofluoric acid should be able to do this. But I'm only guessing since I haven't heard the term and have no hands-on experience with it.