World's #1 on-line resource since 1989

-----

Can this be restored to either it's original or a better finish?

2002

I have a Stiffel lamp I bought in approx. 1978. I live by the Gulf of Mexico where things rust and tarnish like no where else due to the salt content in the Gulf. I tried cleaning this lamp with Brasso according to the directions on the Brasso can. After 4 tries some of it came off but where I rubbed the very hardest it appears that the finish came off. I believe it is the finish because it looks like Brass where it came off only much brighter and lighter. At that point I stopped cleaning. Any suggestions? I love the lamp and would really like some help.

Barbara Simpson
- Port Isabel, Texas

2002

It is difficult to tell what the finish actually is because many ways to produce a brass-like color have been developed. It is possible that the lamp is solid brass, or it may be another metal with a heavy brass plating, or it may be nickel plated followed by a thin layer of brass, or it may even be nickel plated followed by a brass colored electrophoretic lacquer with no brass actually involved.

However, I have found Brasso [affil. link to info/product on Amazon] capable of easily removing discoloration on copper-bottomed cookware with a very heavy oxidation layer--so I would be amazed if it took four tries to remove oxidation from a brass surface. So, guessing from the results rather than from a real knowledge of the surface, I think the brass is lacquered and you need to remove the lacquer with lacquer thinner [affil. link to info/product on Amazon] before trying to remove the brass oxidation. After the lacquer is removed, Brasso should work easily.

I hope the lighter color you are seeing is not nickel (chrome colored) because that would indicate that you had abraded all the way through the brass plating layer.