World's #1 on-line resource since 1989

-----

Nickel vs. chrome in instrument (guitar) applications

2002

I'm interested in knowing, (if anyone can help) some information regarding the durability of nickel and chrome finishes. I am undertaking guitar building and when it comes time to purchase hardware for the instruments, I have basically three choices. Nickel, chrome and gold finish. Gold is what it is, and will be used to accentuate certain color schemes , but I can pretty much interchange the nickel and chrome. Is one more likely to hold up to fingerprints and humidity better than the other? Please advise.

Mark A Brockmann
- State College, Pennsylvania, USA

2002

In this context "chrome" is a misnomer because decorative "chrome" plating is actually nickel plating followed by a thin flash of chrome. Without the chrome topcoat, the nickel will tarnish (yellow)--but some may like that better than the typical bright chrome. If you go to an antique auto museum you can see nickel plating on cars earlier than the late 1930's.