World's #1 on-line resource since 1989

-----

Defining a finish as a drawing note

2002

G'Day,

I am a young mechanical designer and know nothing about finishing. I have a 1045 steel shaft with keyway and dowel holes going into a harsh/semi-corrosive environment where it will be exposed to farm chemicals and fertilizers.

My question is how to specify an adequate quality finish on my drawings. Is there relevant Australian standards / international standards I need to specify to and how to I select the type of finish to specify?

As usual I am overworked, underpaid and supposed to have this finished last week.. =) so where would be quick reference to instantly learn this?

Thanks for any help,

Michael Campbell
- Thebarton, SA, Australia

First of two simultaneous responses -- 2002

It won't happen. Instead get some reference books on metal finishing and expect to learn gradually. In the meanwhile, describe the conditions the part must withstand, and ask somebody for advice.

You may want to specify electroless nickel plating for these parts. It will be about .001" thick, so hopefully everything will still fit.

Second of two simultaneous responses -- 2002

Michael,

Start looking for platers in your area and consult them, specially usefull anyone that does a type of nickel plating known as electroless (without application of current), better if it is high phosphorous. This process is one of the candidates to overcome your problem. Two US specifications are ASTM B656 [withdrawn 2000] and AMS2404 [affil. link to spec at Techstreet]. ISO standard TC/107/SC3/WG1-N3.

2002

Michael,

Try Standards Australia for information on standards both Australian and International that may be applicable to the item. As a general note for corrosion protection on steel zinc plating would work best but if you want mechanical properties then look to electroless nickel as suggested by Ted in his reply.

bob lynch
Bob Lynch
plating company - Sydney, Australia