Painting galvanized pipe

(2002)

Q. How do you prep and paint galvanized pipe?

Joel W Parham
- Gainesville, Texas

(2002)

A. An earlier visitor to the site reported that cleaning with a scrub brush and tri-sodium phosphate took care of the prep work. Then you just paint it with a Self-Etching Primer [linked by editor to product info at Amazon]. This assumes you are talking about a consumer application! A manufacturer who is making painted galvanized pipe should be careful to make sure that the pipe is not chromated after galvanizing, but is zinc phosphated and immediately painted instead. Visit www.galvanizeit.org to learn more.

(2007)

Q. I have already purchased galvanized pipe. Can I now paint it? If so, do I use Rust oleum? On separate occasions, both at Lowes and Home Depot, I have been told that I could and told that I couldn't. . . thanks muchly for your answer

philip browning
- auburn, alabama

(2007)

A. The reason you get conflicting answers, Philip, is that painting galvanized materials is a difficult problem but no one is going to say it's impossible, because it's not; plus no one can say what's "good enough" for you.

If you are selling a product made from this galvanized pipe it's one thing; if you're just trying to scrape by with a personal project, it's another. But for personal use get a primer made for the application like Bulldog Tie Coat [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] and you should be okay. Good luck!

Q. I want to ask how can we apply paint on galvanized pipe little mistake we done sand blasting on it. Tell me correct way to apply paint on pipe with preparation on submarine.

muhammad shafique
q c inspector - karachi pakistan

A. Hi Muhammad.

The "right" way to paint most galvanized surfaces is to first send them through a zinc phosphatization pretreatment line. Where this is not possible, for example on fieldwork repairs, scrub the area with detergent like TSP, rinse it, wipe with vinegar, then apply self-etching primer, then a topcoat, being careful to avoid alkyd paints because they saponify with the galvanizing. Good luck ... but a submarine is not a little knick-knack where we can treat repairs casually and just ask strangers on the internet. Surely there are specs for such a life-critical machine?

Q. I have built a cantilever gate out of schedule 40 galvanized pipe and I am needing to paint it black; what is the best process for that?

16257

Tyler ryan
- Marble falls/Texas/United States

A. Hi Tyler. Ideally you would find a shop to zinc phosphatize and powder coat your gate. However, it's a very large item, so that may not be easy.

Alternately, follow the suggestion of cleaning with TSP, wiping with 50/50 vinegar and water, rinsing, priming, and then your finish coat. If doing this, you might want to try just a small area first and check for good adhesion before committing to the effort on the whole thing.

Q. I made a brush guard front bumper out of old galvanized pipe a friend of mine found underneath his house. I'm assuming it was used for plumbing or drainage. Although the smell was unpleasant, I welded together pieces to make this bumper. I am wondering how I can spray paint it white? Nothing glossy but more of a satin type white. Any suggestions/recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Rey Tijerina
- Memphis, Tennessee, USA

Q. Is it necessary to paint the Galvanised Pipes - Plumbing lines? If so, what is the procedure.

Vijay kumar
- Hyderabad, India

A. Hi Vijay. It is not generally necessary to paint them for corrosion resistance. They're pretty corrosion resistant in many situations.

Q. I have just installed galvanized electrical conduit under the eaves of my house. I want to paint them to match the color of the eaves so they blend in. What is the SIMPLEST AND EASIEST way to paint and have the paint adhere to the conduit? Any particular brand of paint?

wayne thomas
- San Antonio, Texas

Latex Self-Etching Primer

Hi Wayne.

You need a paint that is designed to be applied to galvanizing. Fortunately, good adhesion is less of a problem under the eaves than in most other applications :-)

(We don't post recommendations of particular brands; for one thing, the allure of free advertising is too strong and we get flooded with what they call "comment spam"; it's more about the type of paint than the brand anyway.)

Q. How do you paint galvanized sprinkler pipes in a garage? The lines have already been painted and the paint is peeling off badly.
What's a good price per linear foot to paint galvanized pipes?

Mike Snow
- Rockville, Maryland, USA

Hi Mike. Sorry, I have no idea what painters charge for such stuff, but their estimate or quote will probably be based on how long they think the whole job will take, rather than per foot. I have seen cost estimating books which might include that info, but these tend to be used by government and their contractors for *estimating* the painting cost as a small portion of a large project; I don't think anybody would be willing to live by such a figure for a painting-only project.

As this page says, and as you've seen, getting adhesion on galvanizing in the field is often difficult. Wire brushing off all the partially adherent paint, cleaning with detergent, optionally washing with diluted vinegar, then priming with a self-etching latex primer is probably the way to go.