World's #1 on-line resource since 1989

-----

Cleaning Brass and Copper

2002

Looking for other suggestions to seal copper and brass. I have seen here the reference to Nycote and was about to try a Clear Lacquer coat of paint.

I have found another way to clean the copper and brass. A product named Twinkle I have found at the local grocery store in two forms. One is a yellow paste that includes a foam applicator and is available in a 1.5 - 2 inch tall 3 inches around container as well as a thick pink paste that is squeezed from a 5 inch tall 2 inch around container and smells like baby powder.

Twinkle (12 boxes)

Brasso [affil. link to info/product on Amazon]still works well but is hard to remove once applied ... try Twinkle on top of the Brasso.

Also I had noticed a thick film on the brass which I presumed is a finish of lacquer. This lacquer can be removed with lacquer thinner [affil. link to info/product on Amazon] or MEK / methyl ethyl ketone. CAUTION Methyl Ethyl Ketone is very nasty and will melt just about everything and if applied with bare hands it can be tasted. But it does work. Another cleaning tip ... tomato anything left on copper or brass to dry will clean it well.

Tom Smith
- Garland, Texas

February , 2010

Hi, folks. Tom's point about MEK, in case anyone misread it, was that you DON'T apply it with bare hands. MEK and methylene chloride require goggles [affil. link to info/product on Amazon], Rubber Gloves [affil. link to info/product on Amazon], and excellent ventilation (strong preference for outdoor application).

help wanted ad
Plating Shop Manager [Salisbury, MD]
Junior Quality Engineer [Santa Clara, CA]
Plating Process Engineer [Wenatchee, WA]