Create patina on pewter

(2002)

Q. I am a collector of antique beer steins. Most steins have pewter lids and thumb lifts. Occasionally, I'll find an antique where someone has cleaned the natural patina from the pewter. Antique stein collectors prefer the age-showing dull look. A shiny lid just doesn't look right on an old antique. Is there a simple method for a hobbyist to get natural patina back onto pewter (without waiting another 100 years)?

I've seen some other posts here and a book was recommended. If a book has this solution, I wouldn't mind purchasing it. Can anyone direct me further?

Jody Wyse
- Inman, South Carolina

Pewter Studio: Contemporary Projects & Techniques

(2002)

A. The book you've seen recommended here is for patination of copper and brass, not pewter. But check out letter 12714. Although it's about silver, not pewter, I'd conjecture that the sulphide from eggs will tarnish pewter too.

(2002)

A. You can use this solution for black coloring of tin and pewter: 200 gm. iron chloride, water 1 lit. The article is immersed in solution!

(2003)

A. Instead of solution from my first letter (which is simple and ingredient is easy available) you can try one of these two recipes:

BLACK FOR TIN
molybdenic acid........7,5 gm
ammonium chloride.....30 gm
H2O..........1 lit.
Hot immersion(60-80 °C)

black for tin 2
bismuth nitrate........5 gm
nitric acid..........50 ccm
tartaric acid.........80 gm

Q. To be clear, Is the chemical Goran Budija refers to in his solution iron(II) chloride or iron(III) chloride?

Chad Davis
- Columbus, Ohio, USA

Black Patina for Zinc

(2007)

A. Hi I just saw your question on patinas for pewter. I have successfully used a product called Novacan Black patina =>
It is a product used in the stained glass field to darken the came. It comes in a form for tin based metals and for lead based metals. Choose what is appropriate for your use. I just finished a pewter sculpture today and painted it on, rinsed it off and went over where I wanted my highlights with a 0000 steel wool [linked by editor to product info at Rockler] pad. I came out BEAUTIFUL!

Good luck I hope this helps. It sure beats trying to mix your own!

Cindy Brown
- Arlington, Virginia

Q. I read the recent posts on creating a black patina on Pewter with interest. I am looking to create other colors as can be done on copper with livers of sulphur and other chemicals. Does anyone have experience with other patination processes on Pewter?

I am a wood turner who is beginning to incorporate metals in my turnings. So far I have been using leaf; both copper and silver and patinizing them with quite nice results. I am hoping to get a dark and lustrous effect with some coloration using pewter.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Bradford Chaucer
wood turner, metal worker artisan - Sneads Ferry, North Carolina, United States

A. Hi, Bradford. I'm not sure that there are "colorful" patinas for pewter. That is, there may be no reagents that will turn the metals in pewter red or green or blue. I believe that what is often done instead is the article is "painted" with a copper-based patinating solution.

Jax Green Patina

Q. Thank you Ted. By painting with a copper based patinating solution do you mean the paints that have an acrylic base with copper particles in suspension that come in various grades of copper? I understand that they can be chemically colored while still wet (not totally dried)

Bradford J. Chaucer
- Sneads Ferry, North Carolina

A. Hi, Bradford. That may work just fine, but what I was actually referring to was copper-based patina solutions like Jax -->

Is the "Novacan Black Patina for Zinc" suitable for jewelry? In other words, is there any health risk that would make it unsuitable for use on jewelry?

Tony Kopari
- Mapleton, Minnesota, USA

April , 2013

Hi Tony. The MSDS (material safety data sheet) should help you on that question, but I think the actual issue is that unplated zinc is not a very satisfactory material for jewelry because of its susceptibility to corrosion from fingerprints and sweat.

March 1, 2012 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. Can anyone tell me how to chemically produce a bronze patina on white metals including pewter and can one darken them with liver of salts or other chemicals?

Mic Weiss
sculpter - London, UK

A. Try next download free booklet on metal colouring and plating, there you can find some pewter and tin coloring formulas: attachments.wetpaintserv.us/ZLSnLKosv0l3CnE9hGDi7w488720. Hope it helps and good luck!

----
Ed. note Jan 2017: Although wetpaintserv.us was a legitimate site when Goran posted it, it is now at best a link farm, at worst a phishing site. It told me my computer was infected (which it isn't) and that it could fix it. Don't go there!! But here is Goran's actual booklet.

thumbs up signGoran Budija Thank you SO much for this information! Something I have been needing for years.

Curt Hanthorn
- Spring Hill, Florida, USA

thumbs up signThanks
This looks pretty comprehensive
I will test this over the next few months
many thanks

Mic Weiss
- London, UK

Q. I tried to clean a Pewter bowl with a smooth rubbing compound. The satin silver finish has turned a gold colour and the more I try the more the silver surface is replaced by a gold colour.

Grand Hotel - St. Germain-des-pres 1 Grand Hotel - St. Germain-des-pres 2

I understood that Pewter was mainly tin. How is it possible that it turns a gold colour.

Why the sensitivity about using special preparations to maintain the surface. You would do this with aluminum and it is close to being as soft.

Steve Mileman
- South Africa

Electroless Liquid Silver

A. Hi Steve. My question is why do you assume that the bowl is made of pewter? It seems to me that it is made of brass with nickel or tin or silver plating which the cleaning has removed. You could try rubbing it with a silvering compound; =>

if it is brass, then silver should adhere to the yellowish area. If it does, you would have the option of rubbing off the existing finish and redoing it with the silvering compound. Good luck.

Q. Dear Ted, thank you for your prompt response. This is how it happened:

The "Pewter" piece was delivered with some finger prints on the surface. The instructions were to clean the satin finish with soap and water.

After the first attempt at cleaning the fingerprint off was unsuccessful, I examined it and was reminded of a fingerprint in wet varnish. Some rubbing with Brasso took the print off but exposed a shiny penny-sized area where the print had been. Rubbing the spot made it shinier still. (The first photo)

A light water paper took the silver surface off and exposed a bronze colour beneath. Other than Brasso at first, no other chemicals were used. Of course you shouldn't use Brasso and water paper except in forensic instances.

On closer examination now, there is certainly a clear varnish sprayed on top which is now exposed in places. It must be a cheaper option. But I could find nothing about this problem on the web.

Steve Mileman
- South Africa

A. Hi again Steve. I appreciate the photos but even still it's very difficult to correctly perceive colors when there are no familiar objects in the picture to establish a base line ... and all the more so when trying to photograph shiny objects which reveal more about their background than themselves (what color is a mirror?).

So my question remains what evidence is there which makes you continue to believe that the bowl is made of pewter rather than brass?

Q. I used to be able to get a fluid for darkening pewter, now they don't have pewter -- it is now tin, antimony, and a little lead. Where can I get this fluid?

john hart
- LONDON united Kingdom

Pewter

A. Hi John. I am not seeing radical changes in the composition of pewter over time. From my reading it seems that pewter has always been 90%+ tin with the balance mostly antimony. Bismuth has replaced lead, and silver has replaced cadmium where necessary as a grain refiner, and there is sometimes a little copper in it, but the changes just don't sound substantial enough to me to render the older darkening solutions unworkable.

Have you actually tried them and they don't work, or what is the situation? Thanks!