Changing Bright Brass Finish to Antique Brass

What can I use to change new plated brass hinges to an antique brass finish? Can I use a chemical with its correct name or is there a prepared solution that I can buy? I assembled a cabinet from a purchased kit, which included steel hinges plated with a bright brass finish. The bright brass looks awful with the dark cherry wood and I want to tone it down to an antique brass appearance or patina. I don't want to get involved in having the hinges electroplated with a different finish. What can I use? Thank you.

Jules Avins
- Edison New Jersey USA

I have a similar problem, and wonder what the answer is.

Jay Manley
- Kensington, California, USA

I'm currently changing a ceiling fan (housing and blade frames) from bright brass to antique brass. I've purchased a rub on finish, which is carnuaba wax based. I purchased it at the local craft store (Beverly's). I got this idea from a show on HGTV in which a bright brass table lamp was toned-down with a pewter rub. Just a thought, not sure if that would help your hinge situation.

good luck.

Jen Niemo
- Concord, California, USA

What is the name of the product you used?

Jay Kirschenbaum
- New York, New York

----
Ed. note: In case Jen doesn't come back for a while to answer, on another letter she called it a wax based rub. Available at Amazon link: Rub'N'Buff [linked by editor to product info at Amazon].

My parents have a brass and crystal chandelier they purchased years ago. They are renovating a new home, and are finding they are drawn more to Antique Brass finishes (deeper with more patina), and don't want to use the polished brass...can the chandelier be refinished, or painted to a different color? If so, is this something they need to give to an artisan (they tend to be pretty hands-on and want to try themselves if possible)?
Thanks so much for your help!

Stephanie B
interior designer - Brooklyn, New York