-- The Home Page of the Finishing Industry
HomeFAQsBooksHelpWantedsForum letter 14131
Serious Education ... plus the most fun you can have in metal finishing.

Conductive Aluminum Finish


As a manufacturer of electronic instruments, we have a requirement that the aluminum enclosures must be electrically conductive to prevent RF leakage. This implies a conversion coating. In the past we have specified a gold or clear "Alodine" finish. Different fabrication houses offer different definitions of "Alodine". This leads to the inevitable rush to change the fabrication drawing for that particular vendor. Is there a generic terminology for "Alodine" or conversion coating aluminum?

Please note that we are excellent electronic engineers but dangerous where finishes and coatings are concerned.

Tim Lewinski
- Ann Arbor, Michigan, US



I believe the term that you could spec on your prints would be Mil-C-5541 [link by ed. to spec at TechStreet]. Alodine is just a brand name. There are different classes of chromate conversion coatings in this Mil spec. Please refer to Mil spec C-5541 to see which class would fit your needs (they have varying coating weights, and electrical properties), and, in turn..spec that coating on your prints.

Marc Green
anodizer - Boise, Idaho

ADD a Q or A to THIS thread START a NEW THREADView This Week's HOT TOPICS

Disclaimer: It is not possible to diagnose a finishing problem or the hazards of an operation via these pages. All information presented is for general reference and does not represent a professional opinion nor the policy of an author's employer. The internet is largely anonymous; some names may be fictitious and some recommendations may be deliberately harmful.

  If you need a product/service, please check these Directories:

JobshopsCapital Equip. & Install'nChemicals & Consumables Consult'g, Train'g, SoftwareEnvironmental ComplianceTesting Svcs. & Devices

©1995-2017     -    Privacy Policy
How Google uses data when you visit this site.