Difference Between Type I and Type II anodize

(1998)

I would like a detailed explanation of the difference in the end product when using Type I or Type II anodize on Aluminum plate. Any Help?

John Hart

(1998)

Type I, (chromic acid) is used for parts:

Type II, (sulfuric acid) is used for parts:

Also see Mil-A-8625 [link is to free spec at Defense Logistics Agency, dla.mil].

pooky tom pullizi signature

(2000)

What base is anodizing dye. Is it oil or water and can I buy it in small amounts? What is the price?

Billy Doyle
- Grand Prairie Texas us

(2000)

It is water based, Billy. You may be able to buy Rit Dye [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] in small amounts for a few dollars if your needs are non-rigorous, but purpose-designed dyes for anodizing are more expensive and sold in larger quantities.

You not told us about your needs or the application or the rigors of exposure. Without that input t's kind of like asking how much boats cost. Good luck.