Difference Between Type I and Type II anodize

1998

I would like a detailed explanation of the difference in the end product when using Type I or Type II anodize on Aluminum plate. Any Help?

John Hart

1998

Type I, (chromic acid) is used for parts:

Type II, (sulfuric acid) is used for parts:

Also see Mil-A-8625 [link is to free spec spec at Defense Logistics Agency, dla.mil].

tom & pooky toms signature

2000

What base is anodizing dye. Is it oil or water and can I buy it in small amounts? What is the price?

Billy Doyle
- Grand Prairie Texas us

2000

It is water based, Billy. You may be able to buy Rit Dye [affil. link to info/product on Amazon] in small amounts for a few dollars if your needs are non-rigorous, but purpose-designed dyes for anodizing are more expensive and sold in larger quantities.

You not told us about your needs or the application or the rigors of exposure. Without that input t's kind of like asking how much boats cost. Good luck.