-----

"Finishing copper while retaining bracelet's medicinal properties"

I make jewelry out of copper. After wear and perspiration, the copper darkens and turns green where it has had contact with the skin. How do I retain the 'natural finish of the copper without interfering with its medicinal properties? Is a clear sealant the only solution?

Kim Riedel
- Nassau, Bahamas
^

Lacquer the outside surface, leave the inside surface bare. I don't know how much credence I give to the bracelet's medicinal properties, but if copper ions are to enter the body, I can't see how it can occur without the copper being ionized as a green salt.

^

Quite right, Ted. But the bracelets might as well be coated all over (inside as well as outside) with clear polyurethane or whatever, as the user only has to BELIEVE that there is some medicinal benefit.

Bill Reynolds
Bill Reynolds [dec.]
consultant metallurgist - Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
We sadly relate the news that Bill passed away on Jan. 29, 2010.

^

I began wearing a copper bracelet for arthritis several years ago after having severe knee, left hip and right shoulder pain. I always assumed there was some element of the copper that was entering my body and gladly traded the green skin for the lack of pain. Yes, it works for me as the pain has vanished not to return so far. I used a clear fingernail polish on the outside to stop the tarnish there and use plenty of soap and scrubbing to remove the green.

Art LeCompte
- Carlsbad, California, USA
^