-----

"Nickel Finish Over Brass"

I have a brass doorknob that I would like to refinish to a nickel finish!?

My hallway has five doors - 4 knobs are new nickel and one is brass. So, I would like to have them the same.

Is this possible to do 'nicely' with paint? It is an entrance door and I cannot replace the doorknob [co-op regs on uniformity, etc.]. I thought I would just refinish the interior knob and backplate in the nickel finish.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also, I heard about applying wax to heated metal gives a better protection than clear coat -- is this true and would you have any guidelines.

Kelly Novellino
- Rockville Centre, New York
^

I suggest you contact a plating shop to do the nickel plating or look for new hardware with a finish you like. Nickel is not something you can just "put on".

Gene Packman
process supplier - Great Neck, New York
^

Thank you - I do not have the option of replacing the entrance knobs. I was hoping for an alternative method [painting]- and still get a professional look.

I may try darkening the brass - right now it is bright brass. Maybe if it's darker it won't be as noticeable. The cost for plating is a little steep for me and the condition of the knob and plate is not worth the expense.

I believe I can strip the lacquer and darken the color myself. Do you know of a good product to darken brass?

Thank you again for your help.

Kelly Novellino
- Rockville Centre, New York
^

Liver of Sulphur [affil. link to info/product on Amazon], or Brass Darkening Solution [affil. link to info/product at Rockler] will darken brass, Kelly. Maybe not exactly the way you want, and maybe not safely enough if you have no experience with it, but it does darken brass. Good luck.

^

I did this with some numbers on my house and I am going to do some outside light fixtures as well. I sanded the lacquer with 220 sandpaper and then spray painted the brass numbers with brushed nickel paint. When dry, I sprayed it with lacquer. It is not exact to an actual piece of nickel but it looks very close.

Susan Brown
- Watertown, New York
^

What nickel paint did you use? I'm having trouble finding any.

Dan

Dan Segal
- New York, New York
^

--
Ed. note: Susan may not be passing this way soon since her posting is several months old, but Krylon Brushed Nickel [affil. link to info/product on Amazon] spray paint is available from a number of sources.

I just painted what will be base cabinets for a built in desk I am putting together - I used a piece of furniture I had that has a few dozen old brass type knobs but a brushed nickel finish would be much more suited to the painted wood of the furniture. I was searching the internet for solutions to this and this site came closest to having an answer - or at least other people seeking the same type of solution. Has anyone come up with anything yet? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gina Bella
- Baldwin
^