-----

"Gold coin patina restoration"

I purchased an Old gold coin (1854 $10 Liberty) that had been mildy cleaned with a silver polish. Gold coins of the this era are 90% Gold, about ~8% copper and ~2% silver. The cleaning "made the coin shinny". The problems is that in the light rubbing process removed the top layer of patina. I would like to restore the patina. The patina I don't believe was ever very heavy or deep. Aside of letting the coin sit out in the open air for the next 150 years what are my options? I would like to restore it over a period of time prehaps a year or 2 or more. I am not in a hurry I just would like to restore the coin to what 150 years of age would do to it.

Any suggestions?

Brian Maguire
- Portland, OR
^

Brian,

At this point, leaving your coin out in the open air for 150 years would leave you with what you have now, a shiny coin. I would recommend taking it to a professional who specializes in coin restoration and have him perform a process called "whizzing" This is a microscopic "scouring" of the coin's surface that gives it a mint state appearance and will eliminate the high polish.

Hope this helps and good luck,

Randall Dean Cox
- Tehachapi, California, U.S.A.
^