-----

"Making Stable Graphite Suspension for Coating"

Q. Hi friends,

I'm an R&D person working in an abrasives industry. I need a stable graphite suspension which I need to coat over an organic film. The main thing is the suspension is to be stable for minimum of 10 hours. The concentration of the suspension is to be just enough to make a continuous chain of graphite particles when coated. The coating also has to adhere well to the organic film. Can some one help me out?

Kavitha
- Chennai, Tamilnadu, India
^

A. Check out methods based on "modifying viscosity on demand" via pH. In the aerospace industry I found that electrophoretic methods were useful for self limiting deposition of particles (Ref. Allison Electrophoretic Process for coating turbine blades with nickel aluminide particles).

John Tuohy
- Ireland
^

A. Hi,

I am working on suspensions of graphite. If results comes I will inform you.

Bye,

Nitin Wasekar
- Bangalore, India
^

2003

Q. I am looking for a way to keep graphite powder in suspension with molten Zinc. I have tried stirring but the graphite clumps. Is their a compound material that will allow the graphite composite to remain in the zinc melt? Does anyone have any ideas?

Steve Hall
- Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
^

2004

Q. I am a Ms student of IUST and my project is about preparing "GRAPHITE SUSPENSION" IN WATERY SOLUTION WITH A GOOD STABILITY. I appreciate any kind of info related to graphite suspensions.

Hudsa
student and researcher - Tehran, Iran
^

2004

A. First, you will never get graphite into a water solution. You will have a suspension. You will need to have the graphite ground to the absolute smallest size possible and then use the least water possible. Now, if you can add other things, look at using some of the solid alcohols, which are also water soluble.

^

2004

A. A good suspension requires that the graphite remains finely divided and is wetted by the water. To wet graphite, you will need a surfactant. The tricks to your question involve the correct surfactant and keeping the graphite finely divided by stopping it from coagulating. Now to the research part...

^