-----

"Reblueing guidelines"

I have an old pump-action 30.06 Remington I've spent a couple of days stripping it and its finally rust free and ready to be reblued. I bought some Brichwood Casey "Perma Blue" but they don't give any instructions for prep or use. Could someone please tell me how to prep the metal and apply the new finish so I can restore her to her former pristine state?

Brock Mitchel
- Miami, Florida
^

Hello Brock,

What you have is a "cold blue" formula for touching up, or doing a complete job, such as in your case. After you have all the polishing done the way you want it, the only other thing you will need to do is make sure it is grease/oil free. Spray can brake cleaner or gun cleaner will give you the results you're looking for. Take some x-large cotton swabs and rub the solution into the metal, you will see it start to turn black. You may have to give it a couple of applications to get the colour even and not blotchy. Once done oil it with gun oil. That's it. Just to let you know the type of blue you are putting on there is nothing like the original finish. It's merely a superficial coloration to the steel. Only a shop set up for hot salt bluing can duplicate the original finish.

Good luck ,

Paul Lippold
- Oshkosh, WI
^

Brock,

You will do best if you keep putting fresh bluing on the bare metal. As your swab gets black, it won't put the fresh liquid on the metal. You may want to put it on with fine 0000 steel wool [affil. link to info/product at Rockler] that has been de-greased first.

Good luck,

Ed Kay
- St. Louis, Missouri, USA
^