-----

"Help for a small fishing tackle company"

My brother and I own a small fishing tackle company. We supply the world's strongest split rings. They are used extensively by Lure manufactures who make lures targeted at the larger fresh water game fish such as Muskie. Currently, we have a plater plate the rings in a gold Cadmium Chromate. This gives the rings sufficient corrosion resistance for fresh water but does not hold up well at all in salt water. Do you have, or know of any plating process that would come close to the corrosion resistance of stainless steel? Our goal is to expand into the salt water market so corrosion resistance is a must.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your time.

Joe Trattner
- Bartlett, Illinois, USA
^

My guess would be electroless nickel, probably about 0.001" thick. You could experiment and see if 0.0005 would work, but I doubt if it would be long term acceptable. High phosphorous is slightly better than medium and boron is slightly better than P, but it costs more. Look for a shop that has good experience in barel plating EN. No contact points.No contact bare points that way and it is a lot cheaper than rack. Probably less than 20% of EN platers do barel work and of that 10% would fit my definition of good.

^

I worked for a company in Texas many years ago. We used Copper / Nickel / Chrome, With great success

Chris Snyder
plater - Charlotte, North Carolina
^

Thank you very much for the suggestions! I really appreciate you taking the time!

Joe Trattner
- Bartlett, Illinois, USA
^