-----

"Formulas for nickel plating solution"

I am plating nickel over the top of a copper plate on lead. I saw the writings on the solution of nickel for the person in Australia, and was comparing it to some solutions I have found else where! Before I begin buying supplies I wanted to consult you on some of these formulas. they are as follows:

bath  NiCI2    NiS04     H3B04     pH        Temp F
x 6h20 x 6H20   1 6 oz gal 32 oz gal 4 oz gal 4.5-5.5 115-120
2 6 44 5 1.5-4.5 115-140
3 23 26 5 1.5 115
4 3 24 4 5.6-5.9 110-140

How will these work (especially 1, 2, & 4)?

Robert A. Brown
THE R & B CO - EUGENE, Oregon
^

There is no good way to critique the alternates if you don't say where you got them, but formula 2 sounds closest to a standard Watts bath.

But suppose you buy the nickel sulphamate, nickel chloride, and boric acid--what are you going to do about anodes, wetter, brightener, and carrier? The way to do nickel plating is usually to buy the process from a proprietary supplier, not try to make it up yourself. Good luck.

^