adv.   multitool_banner

2000 gsxr 750 mirror polishing

I have a 2000 gsxr 750. I trying to polish it with just taking off the fairings, and gas tank. I took off the whole foot peg and and sprayed some easy off heavy duty oven cleaner on it and the foot peg itself turned black but non of the rest did. So I reapplied and it still did not take it off. But when I used some 220 grit wet sandpaper it took it off after about 40 minutes of sanding. I'm wanting to polish my whole bike to get the mirror look. What is the quickest way to strip off the tough anodized finish? I was told that it could all be done by hand using 220,320 etc, but that process will take for ever. I need some serious help. And also what tool could be used?

LaShonda Moore
- Kansas

If you have a drill, you can bye a thing called a flap wheel that you can pick up from a hardware store(BBC or Bunnings). It doesn't cost to much & should give you the desired affect. Or if you want to pay a bit more the best thing is a finishing sander with some fine grade wet & dry sandpaper [linked by editor to product info at Rockler], but instead of putting water on the paper, put Brasso [linked by editor to product info at Amazon]. After sanding is finished hit it with the Brasso again with a cloth.

Michael Lindsay
- Sydney

To get the desired look. Purchase airplane stripper from local automotive paint supply shop. It eats OEM finish from aluminum. May take about four separate coats of spray on wipe off. Bling, instant chrome under OEM finish.Then you must purchase a grinder with 11,000 or more rpm.Also purchase buffing pads for a bench grinder to fit your new hand grinder(modification necessary).Then you must purchase buffing sticks or paste.They come in 5inch tubes at Lowe's and you have different types just like sandpaper. They should also be right beside the buffing pads where I got mine. The stuff is like sandpaper in a paste form and each stick you have to bye has a different coarse to it.whatever the spray on stripper doesn't get off. This stuff will. Apply to wheel or buffing pad.never both. Too much, and you will be covered in the excessive amount thrown from the buffer. Oh yeah, the rim is chrome after you had first sprayed but you must buff because rim has small lines from where it was made on a machine.

Rndrick Jackson
- Richmond, Virginia