Finishing PVC

I have a product that is fully functional using 3/4 schedule 40 pvc pipe and fittings.Would like any suggestions on giving my product a more manufactured look, i.e., any finishing technique that would give me colors and a more fluid look at the joints. I think an anodized or powdercoated aluminium looking finish would be great but a dip or painting process might be more in my budget.

Ron Meleady
- Charleston, S.C., U.S.

Ron,

Firstly I most sincerely HOPE that you are not considering any 'painting' until you've glued your assembly together otherwise you'll have joining problems.

To give your product a more manufactured look, as you put it, then you could use the Sch. 80 grey fittings instead of the less expensive white Sch. 40 ... and IF, IF, IF, you have a mega quantity of pipe, then it might be cost viable for the extruder to add some colour to it, eh?

If you paint (the cheapest proposal) then ensure that the PVC is dead clean and use a paint with some adhesion properties to 'bite' into the PVC like a lacquer rather than a latex.

Most of the, no, all the Sch. 40 fittings (or Sch.80) are not designed for beauty but many years ago I think I saw some G.F. fittings which were much more streamlined ... but probably only available in metric sizing now.

Hope this helps!

.... a few years in thermoplastic fabrication (40 odd)