I.T. use in finishing

How can Information technology help me in my business...I am involved with honing of cylinder lines used in engines. What have been the impacts of information technology on manufacturing and finishing as such... can you suggest some software that helps in cost estimation of a finishing process?

Manish K jain
- Hyd, AP, India

I've seen a few plating shops taking advantage of IT. Some shops have computers right by the line. Some systems allow operators to take a part number and call up the plating "recipe" for a programmable hoist. I've seen visual displays of the plating line in which one can follow different plating racks around the system, and each tank or rack get be queried for current details. Some systems allow part traceability so that if a defect is noted, one can trace it back to the lot, the time it was plated, how it was plated, where it was in the rack, who was working when it was plated, QC lab data from that day, etc.. The traceability can really help problem solving. Maybe someone else can add some more examples...

tim neveau
Tim Neveau
Rochester Hills, Michigan

In addition to the items already listed, software is available to automatically control instruments in the laboratory, to automate chemical calculations for adds, to track inventory, to calculate and track plating setups, etc.

You can do just about anything you want, and the costs have dropped to the point where just about any shop can get into computerization of basic process control. You are also not restricted to package systems. There are people who will do customized applications for a reasonable fee. Check out some of the vendors and consultants in the ads section of this site.

bill vins
Bill Vins
microwave & cable assemblies
Mesa (what a place-a), Arizona