PROCESS NAME FOR ALKYD POLYESTER RESIN

I AM TRYING TO DETERMINE THE INDUSTRY PROCESS / NAME USED TO APPLY ALKYD POLYESTER RESIN TO A PART MADE OF 1070 CARBON STEEL. I ASSUME IT IS FOR CORROSION RESISTANCE, BUT I AM NOT SURE. ANY LIGHT YOU COULD SHED WOULD BE A BIG HELP.

HARRY MATTHEWS
- DULUTH, Georgia, USA

Harry,

I regret that I really haven't a clue what you are talking about and would like to suggest that you go to your yellow pages for suppliers of polyester & vinylester resins, these being mainly the corrosion resistant types (i.e., Hetron, Atlac, Derakane)... nor in my ignorance would I have thought you'd get a good bond to steel UNLESS you used an epoxy.

Is there a process name for joining fibreglass to metal? I dunno. Yet for thermoplastics someone coined the word DUAL LAMINATES where these dissimilar plastics are joined together. Being l,000% biased I preferred the name of Armoured Plastics instead!

... a few years in plastics (40 odd) but mainly but not solely in the thermoplastics