Surface tension of aluminum

2002

Q. I would like to ask what is the surface tension of Aluminum?

Stanley Tsai
optoelectronic company - Hsin-Chu County, Taiwan

2002

Hi Stanley. Sorry, I have no idea what the answer is, but I'd certainly expect it to be temperature dependent. What's the temperature?

2002

Thanks Ted:

What is the surface tension of Aluminum (solid phase with air) at room temperature.

Stanley Tsai
- Taiwan

2002

I had no idea that solid metals had the property of 'surface tension'. I guess you'll have to wait for somebody else to answer.

"Properties of Aluminum Alloys: Tensile, Creep, and Fatigue Data at High and Low Temperatures"
by J. Gilbert Kaufman

info on Amazon

Physics at Surfaces

2002

Q. We have a similar question as you showed. My project is to get the surface tension of aluminum/oil system at the room temperature.

According to the Young Equation G(s,v)=G(s,l)+G(l,v)cos(angle), which G express the surface tension. s express the solid,v express the vapor, l express the liquid. the G(l,v),which is the surface tension of oil(liquid and Air) G(s,l) expressed the surface tension of aluminum(solid) and oil(liquid). The G(s,v), which express the surface tension of aluminum(solid) and air. From the equation, the G(l,v) can be obtained from the pendant drop method, Angle can be obtained from sessile method. In order to obtained the G(s,l),the G(s,v) have to first to be known.

So the question I have is what is the G(s,v) at room temperature. If I get it, I can further calculate the surface tension of aluminum/oil.

Stanley Tsai
Taiwan - Hsin-Chu county

2002

So the surface tension of the oil is what you are concerned with? And the characteristics of the solid surface in contact with the oil are relatively unimportant?

Bill Reynolds
Bill Reynolds
   consultant metallurgist
Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
We sadly relate the news that Bill passed away on Jan. 29, 2010.

2003

A. Hey, Stanley Tsai:

The surface energy of crystal aluminum at 300k is 1100 mJ/m^2 under vacuum. Normally, the metal oxide reduces the interfacial energy between aluminum and water. Actually, for the anodized aluminum (alumina),the value of interfacial energy is only 50 mJ/m^2. weidong

Weidong Guo
Dept. of Chem Engineering at the University of Alabama - Tuscaloosa, Alabama

2005

Q. But what is the surface energy for liquid aluminum with its vapor?

Wei Zheng
- Lubbock, Texas

2007

Q. Why can't we obtain Aluminum-Carbon alloy like Steel?

Nguyen Xuyen
metal/carbon composite - South Korea