FDA approved wooden finish

My husband and myself are starting a new product line- wooden mugs. But we need a FDA approved wooden finish that will protect the wood from being used. But safe for people to use.

Deborah Carrington
- Monson, Massachusetts

Beeswax

I am presently testing a product that would be able to work on cold liquids, such as a beer mug. the owner shown me a copy of a letter stating that his product is safe, as defined by the FDA in Canada. It is a product made with bees wax, but lasts longer.

Pierre Valiquette
- Gatineau, Quebec, Canada

I have 2 questions. First, I have a very young coworker who wears big wooden ear plugs. He says they are finished with beeswax so they are safe. Is this true? My second question is about the finish used on wooden beer mugs. Is it really safe to just use beeswax on these as well? If so, how do I care for it over the long haul?

Marland Cox
- Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA