Tarnishing/Blackening Brass on Prisms

There is a way to make prisms look old by tarnishing or blackening the brass or brass plate. It involves tin foil and some other household item or items. I've seen the finished product, so I know it can be done. But I don't know the formula to do it myself. I was hoping someone could help!

Amy [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Meridian, Mississippi

Aluminum foil is used in that fashion to remove tarnish from silver, Amy, but I've never heard of it being used to add tarnish to copper.

The usual way is with a sulfide chemical--anything from sealing the item into a plastic baggie overnight with a crushed hard boiled egg, to using Liver of Sulphur [linked by editor to product info at Amazon]. Liver of sulphur is rather nasty stuff, to be applied strictly per directions.