Repairing Punctured Polyethelyne

I own a high-density polyethylene (RAMX) canoe that has developed a hole about 1 inch by 2 inches. How can I repair this?

Keith Boehm
- Laguna Niguel, California

I'd "bolt on" some kind of patch piece and gasket. Sorry, but I haven't seen high density polyethylene successfully welded or glued.

Keith,

Assuming and HOPING that you canoe is not made from an ultra high molecular Polyethylene (supposedly unweldable in the higher grade ranges), your best option is to take your canoe down to a thermoplastic fabricator (not a fiberglass fabricator!)and get them to weld on a patch. Mind you, the patch colour may be very different from your canoe colour ... either virgin white or Ford black!

There is no glue, no cement for hdPe.

Hope this helps.

The Coleman canoe owner's guide states three ways to repair the RAM-X. Write the company for instructions. I've had good results.

David Long
- Richmond, Virginia

My 81 Coleman 17' canoe uses tubular interior frame for keel support. A few years ago a small stone was lodged between the frame and the bottom of the canoe which pierced through the plastic keel when I scuffed a submerged rock through some rapids. I can tell you, with 500 lbs of gear, it didn't take long to notice the leak and start bailing.

After several unsuccessful attempts, I finally was able to repair the hole by using a Weller Soldering iron to heat the surface and drip melt sacrificial PEX-A tubing on the opening. After allowing to cool, I sanded lightly and applied sikaflex or dap roof and gutter sealant to the area. After allowing to dry for an hour, I reinforced with plain old nashua duct tape and applied another smooth coat of sealant over top. To this day, it has not leaked and the sealant has resisted damage from underneath.

Jim Weller
- Allentown, Pennsylvania
  ^-- this reader rates this thread: winner

-- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

I would just love someone tell me what to use to fill all the deep scratches on the bottom of my Coleman crawdad [the same as the canoe] that can be sanded or not and that will stay there? BIG NOTE FOR ALL IS SUPER MARINE IN THE STATES HAVE SUCH MATERIALS BUT I AM IN p.e.i. CANADA. THANKS DOUG

DOUG CARMODY
A POLY REPAIRER - CHARLOTTETOWN P.E.I.CANADA