Restoring Steering wheels on old cars

(2001)

I am retired and am a car nut, I am trying to find out the best way to repair cracks and paint a steering wheel of a 48 year old car. Am I in the correct place?

Walter Terry
- Basking Ridge, New Jersey

(2001)

I don't know if you are going to get many responses to your inquiry, but I'll offer my solution.

I too am into old cars, and had the same problem. I used PVC cement to fill the cracks, and "painted" a coat of PVC cement over the entire wheel.

Bill C.

Bill Coffie
Warren, Michigan

(2002)

I have restored a few old steering wheels by using epoxy putty to fill the cracks and chips then repainting back to the original color.

Good luck,

Dan Logan
- Portland, Oregon, USA

(2002)

Clean the wheel several times with as good a cleaner as you can come up with. Simple Green [linked by editor to product info at Amazon], Spic 'n Span [linked by editor to product info at Amazon], etc. Wipe the wheel down with Enamel or lacquer thinner until no more residue appears on the cloth. Patch cracks,chips, dings with an Epoxy based material (liquid or paste). File, sand and work the material to original contour. Paint with a bonding primer (assuming the wheel is plastic)then topcoat with whatever you prefer for color match. Woodgraining is a different subject and I can help with that if required. Hope this helps.

Bill Miller
- Shinnston, W.V.