Clorox stained my bathtub, can it be removed?

A discussion started in 2004 & continuing through 2017 . . .

(2004)

Q. A friend told me to use 1/2 clorox and 1/2 water to remove mold spores from the tub. I sprayed this mixture on last night and woke up to find that I now have a brown stains in the center of my tub due to the clorox I used last night to kill mold spores. I tried scrubbing it off with Comet, it helped some, but it's still there... anything I can do to remove this stain? My tub is an original porcelain tub, the tile on the walls are fine, but the tub got stained.

Summer Black
- Decatur, Georgia

Iron Out

(2004)

A. Household bleach is an alkaline material and consequently will precipitate iron out of water. It sounds like that's what happened since iron stains are rust colored. A mildly acidic household product made for removal of iron stains should take care of it =>

Read the label for CLR, or LimeAway and see if it is recommended for this^[See Aug. 29, 2009 for a better answer!].

Hopefully we don't have to warn you of the personal dangers of mixing bleach with other cleaners. Good luck.

(2004)

Q. Re. the stain in bathtub - I recently had my landlord reglaze my tub and set down a sponge full of bleach. It left a yellow spot. Is there a paint? Or will hydrogen peroxide [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] with cream of tartar remove it?

Georgia Lolafredo
- Los Angeles, California, USA

(2007)

Q. I have enamel bath tub, there brown stains and I have tried a number of stain removers but with avail. I also tried to scrub with sand scrubber and again no success. I need your help.

Sasyad Hussain
- Ewa Beach, Hawaii, USA

3% Hydrogen Peroxide
(case of 12)

A. Hi, folks. Yes, dozens of people have reported amazing success at removing bathtub stains with hydrogen peroxide. See letter 8229

thumbs up signHydrogen peroxide did the trick for me!

Eric Campbell
- Richmond, Virginia

thumbs up sign Several years later I came to this forum to find the same answer: Hydrogen-Peroxide was the solution to my bathtub stain.
I made it with Clorox. It wasn't the brown stain I read in previous comments, mine was yellowish, but I thought it was damaged for good, since nothing else I tried removed the stain, there or four inches long.
It wasn't magic, I had to scrub several times but it did it.

Alex Rodriguez
- Arlington, Massachusetts, USA