Restoration of stainless steel automotive bumpers

I have owned an alfa romeo gtv 2000 year 1973 Great Britain standard for the past 15 years. I have been dissatisfied with the luster of the S.S. parts of the car which include the radiator grill as well. Anyway, some 6 years ago ignorantly I sent it for chrome plating to restore its luster although it remained gleaming for a while but it lost my satisfaction.

Recently, about two years ago I had a good paint job done on the vehicle,which I was happy about minus the S.S parts for which I tried out commercially available polish of German manufacture but far from my expectations.

Where was my error, S.S is not suppose to lose its splendor and when polished consistently must provide a satisfactory shine which , in my case will enhance my car. Should there be some preparation specifications I should insist on before I embark on it's restoration again.

Prabakaran Selvarajah
- Subang Jaya, Selangor D.E; Malaysia

You need to put a protective coating on the stainless after it has been repolished.

Steven Scarpin
- Melborne, Victoria, Australia