(one of the world's very few 'no registration' sites)

-----

"Screen printing onto Electroless nickel Plating"

Current question:

6061 parts plated to 26074 class 4 grade A. We're now at a point where we're trying to ink mark the parts. Attempts at etching leaves us in a spot where the ink removes with a cloth and IPA.

I will say we're also in a spot of testing different inks to the grid below.
Epoxy based ink does stick and not wipe off, issue being round parts and they all need individual marking.

Parts are cleaned with vapor degreaser and left to dry. Handling is done with gloves.

Testing to date:
Clean, print and bake
Clean, plasma etch oxygen and argon, print, bake
Clean, plasma etch hydrogen, print, bake
Sodium Dichromate, print, bake - note solution was at 40C
Ferric Chloride intervals of 5 mins from 5 to 60 mins submersion, print, bake
Testing coupons with different levels of phosphorous content as that can have an impact on adhesion of finishes also.

Seen mention of passivating the nickel plate, or even nitric etching. Curious if anyone seeing this note has tried/had success or failure with those or maybe options missed I'd love to hear about it.

Travis Neumann
- Minneapolis, Minnesota
^

Closely related Q&A's, oldest first:

2001

Q. I have a job requiring the screen printing of aluminium castings which have been electroless nickel plated with a satin finish.The paint originally specified for this job is no longer available. Other products to not fully adhere to the plating. Can anyone recommend any treatment of the plating which would permit good adhesion or a different type of paint. The surface of the plating cannot be abraded because that would destroy the finish.

Michael Jeremy Hacking
- Lancashire, England
^

2001

A. When you say paint, I think you are referring to a silkscreen ink. Make sure your part is completely clean of any oils after plating. Vapor degreasing works great. I would recommend a two part epoxy. Dexter-Hysol out of Chicago carries many varieties that can be successful. Also, are you baking after screening? If not, you may want to consider it. I have seen it work both ways, oven cure and air dry.

TED NOVOTNE
HIAWATHA METALCRAFT INC. - MPLS, Minnesota, USA
^