FDA ANODIZE

HI,

I WORK IN THE PURCHASING DEPARTMENT FOR A COMPANY THAT MAKES PRODUCE RACKS FOR GROCERY STORES. OUR RACKS ARE MADE OUT OF PERFORATED ALUMINUM AND THEN SEND OUT TO BE ANODIZED BLACK OR GREEN. CUSTOMERS WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF THESE PRODUCE/MEAT RACKS ARE FDA APPROVED?

KRISTIE ZIMMER
- MINNEAPOLIS, Minnesota

I don't believe any anodized part that is dyed can be FDA approved. Clear anodizing, yes.. is FDA approved. I use 2 dye suppliers, and I've asked this same question of both of them. Most of your dyes contain toxic heavy metals, and are normally sealed with a nickel based seal. I would imagine that is the reason the FDA won't approve.

anodizer - Boise, Idaho

Marc,

Can you document the FDA approval for anodizing? I have been unable to do so. Your help would be appreciated.

Chris Jurey, Past-President IHAA
Luke Engineering & Mfg. Co. Inc.
Wadsworth, Ohio

luke engineering banner

Chris,

Let me look into that, you are right, I have never seen actual documentation, but..by golly, my BEST omelet pan is nothing but aluminum with a 3 mil hard coat on the inside. My information came from my dye suppliers, which also sells me my nickel based seal. Try contacting Clariant, they may be able to supply the documentation. My company does mostly semiconductor work, and not much for the food industry, though, we do a teflon bond hardcoat for some candy making machines, and some potato chutes (remember.. I'm an Idahoan). The teflon bond IS FDA approved, and I can supply you with that info. I would imagine for the straight anodizing, you would need to seal using boiling D.I. water, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

anodizer - Boise, Idaho

I wanted to echo the same response Marc did. About 5-7 years ago I think it was, a customer of ours in the medical field wanted to do their products in color. It would not pass FDA approval if dyed in any form or fashion.

Matthew Stiltner
plating company - Toledo, Ohio