Hardcoat anodizing anti-burning device

Does anyone know if there is a device out there that will sense when a part is burning in a hardcoat anodize tank and shut off the rectifier? How about a ramp meter that will automatically ramp up the voltage?

Keith Rosenblum
- St. Paul, Minnesota

(1998)

Keith..in answer to your questions.. I know of no such device that will alert you to a burning problem. One of the things I look at while my parts are running is the voltmeter. Assuming you are anodizing by current density (the proper way to anodize), and not by voltage..you will note that your volts will rise (to accommodate the electrical resistance of the anodic coating) as the coating builds. If your voltage does not rise..its a clue that you may have a problem. Secondly.. PLEASE don't tell me you are using a tap-switch rectifier..most modern rectifiers (SCR) have built in ramps, which you can adjust to fit your needs..just call around to rectifier suppliers, tell them what you want, and I'm sure they will be able to accommodate you.

anodizer - Boise, Idaho

(1998)

There are computer aided anodizing systems available which you may be interested in.I have experience with one such system ;try Metalast for more info.-Bill

Bill Grayson
- Santa Cruz, California