Restoring brass sleighbells

I am a professional person, not in the refinishing business, but would like some info in restoring brass sleigh bells. They were given to me by my father in law, and are the real thing. They are very tarnished and the ordinary brass cleaner does nothing.

Helen McNelly
- Lisbon, Maine

Helen, this reply is late to your inquiry so I doubt that you will receive it. You wrote an inquiry on my birthday from a state I use to live in. The sleigh bells are they on a leather strip? If so by the time you get the bells polished the leather will be damaged. I strongly suggest that you enjoy the bells with the natural tarnish (patina) on them. I used to deal in antiques and while I polished many items the bells I always left and enjoyed the sound.

jon quirt
Jon Quirt
- Fridley, Minnesota

Hi Jon,

It doesn't matter so much that Helen may not read your response, the important thing is that someone else searching for this information will have your answer.

pooky
tom pullizi signature