"Recipe" for chroming

I would like to know a general method for chroming. I already have the apparatus, but what I need, is the "recipe" of the solutions needed. I know there is a lot of different stuff, but I just need a general method to start.

Isabelle Martineau
- Ste-Foy, Quebec, Canada

Chromium Plating
by Weiner & Walmsley

Hard Chromium Plating

You say you have the apparatus, Isabelle, but you didn't detail what that apparatus is, so I can't comment on its sufficiency. A recipe for "a general method to start" would be:
32 oz/gal of chromic acid plus one hundredth that much sulfuric acid, operated at 110 degrees F and 2 ASI. Please give that a try.

But professional platers may feel the same way about the word "recipe" as an artist would if you asked her the "recipe" for the color of the sky in a painting :-)

For the benefit of other readers, you do know that chromic acid is the notorious "hexavalent chrome" of Erin Brockovich fame?

What "recipe" are you using for the necessary nickel plating underneath the chrome? I hope you don't answer: "What nickel plating?" :-)

But please see our FAQ: "Introduction to Chrome Plating". Best of luck!