Car badge mold to be polished....HOW?

I am looking to doing semi deep polishing of car badging on various decals. I have failed to achieve a required finish,i.e., the microscopic pitting left over from the spark eroding was going to be evident when the badge was going to be plate. Some angular edges were too tricky to achieve. I have been using a diprofile with hard sticks above 6 micron up to 45 micron. Initial eroded surface was reduced using a ultrasonic Sonofile. Anybody have any suggestions?

Michael Hein
Michael Hein
- Sydney, NSW, Australia

I'm not exactly sure of your problem here. I assume you are talking about polishing some dies and you need a smooth finish. It is also probable that there is not a lot of volume here. Most dies are cleaned with various blasting systems and normally glass bead. There are some extremely fine powder and wet honing systems that achieve good results. If the die is not too big or heavy when taken apart, it can actually be polished in a mass finishing system; however, the deeper the recess, the less likely this can be done this way. Lastly, the best option is an abrasive flow system, but these are costly. Maybe something here is of some help.

tony kenton
AF Kenton
Nova Finishing Systems Inc.
Hatboro, Pennsylvania