Copper Sulphate Crystals

Why are copper sulfate [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] crystals, grown from saturated solutions, not thought to be alive? Thanks.

Jonathan Stackhouse
- Grewelthorpe, North Yorkshire, GB

Jon, that will completely depend on what your definition of "alive" is, and such is far more a philosophical question than it is a technical question. I've got to assume that this is a homework question: so my advice is to decide your conclusion first, and then marshal your arguments, and sally forth.

Enjoy!

lee gearhart
Lee Gearhart
metallurgist

Ah, an opportunity to wax philosophical.

The growth is not goal-driven like the growth of lifeforms as far as we know? As far as we can perceive there does not seem to be an effort on the part of copper sulphate crystals towards self preservation or preservation of the species?

(2007)

How can find some more information on copper sulfate? I have looked in all the encyclopedias and searched the internet much as I possibly can, but I have found really nothing on the subject. That's a big problem for me bacause I'm writing a 1000-1200 word research paper with 4 things to write about and I was hoping that I would get at least (at least) 250 words for each subject. Have you got any advice for me?

Nala Berr
student - Cypress

(2007)

Wikipedia has an entry on copper sulphate, Nala, and the footnotes includes many references for further reading. I'm sure you could do a thousand words just on its use as a root killer.