Sulfamic acid disposal

I have a small quantity of crystaline sulfamic acid (10 lbs) that I would like to neutralize and dispose of. I see on the MSDS that Lime can be used to neutralize spills. What is a safe way to neutralize this material when it is in dry form?

Joy N [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Shelby Township, Michigan

I don't think that's the right way to do it, Ms. Neumann; I think you have to add water to the acid crystals before beginning the neutralization process.

But M(SO3NH2)2.xH2O contains ammonia, and that is usually regulated, I believe at around 100 or 200 mg/liter; if not ammonia, there is usually a Kjeldahl nitrogen limit, so I don't think it will work in most jurisdictions.

pooky tom pullizi signature