-- The Home Page of the Finishing Industry
Serious Education & the most FUN
you can have in metal finishing smiley

No popups, spam, registration or passwords
on this site
current topics
topic 11703

Sulfamic acid disposal


I have a small quantity of crystaline sulfamic acid (10 lbs) that I would like to neutralize and dispose of. I see on the MSDS that Lime can be used to neutralize spills. What is a safe way to neutralize this material when it is in dry form?

Joy N [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Shelby Township, Michigan


I don't think that's the right way to do it, Ms. Neumann; I think you have to add water to the acid crystals before beginning the neutralization process.

Ted Mooney, Teds signature
Ted Mooney, P.E.
Pine Beach, New Jersey


But M(SO3NH2)2.xH2O contains ammonia, and that is usually regulated, I believe at around 100 or 200 mg/liter; if not ammonia, there is usually a Kjeldahl nitrogen limit, so I don't think it will work in most jurisdictions.

pooky tom pullizi signature
Tom Pullizzi
Falls Township, Pennsylvania

If you have a question in mind which seems off topic, please Search the Site

ADD a Comment to THIS thread START a NEW threadView CURRENT TOPICS

Disclaimer: It's not possible to diagnose a finishing problem or the hazards of an operation via these pages. All information presented is for general reference and does not represent a professional opinion nor the policy of an author's employer. The internet is largely anonymous & unvetted; some names may be fictitious and some recommendations may be deliberately harmful.

  If you need a product/service, please check these Directories:

JobshopsCapital Equip. & Install'nChemicals & Consumables Consult'g, Train'g, SoftwareEnvironmental ComplianceTesting Svcs. & Devices

©1995-2018, Inc., Pine Beach, NJ   -   About   -  Privacy Policy
How Google uses data when you visit this site.