Electrolysis of Zinc and Copper

Dear sir/madam,

I am a student of metallurgical and materials engineering. I have some problems in our laboratory courses and I would be very happy if you help me to answer some questions about electrolysis of Zn and copper. I know this site is about Al but I guess that you must also know a lot of thing about electrolysis.

My questions are;

1)Can you tell me the effect of heating in the copper and zinc electrolysis? Do we have to cool down the zinc electrolytes? Why?
2)Can you tell me why we use Al in the zinc electrolysis as cathodes.

If you answer my questions I would be very happy.

Cem «¸tak
Istanbul Technical University - Ankara

The reason you heat it up is to increase reaction as particles will move faster and so make more collisions.

Stanley
- Sheffield, Yorshire, England