Alternative for SNAP-AM (MacDermid)

I would like to know if there is any alternative to SNAP-AM (MacDermid) for sulfamate nickel anti pitting. Please advice.

[last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Yoqneam, Israel

Yes, there are alternatives. Try asking some of MacDermid's competition.

James Totter
James Totter, CEF
- Tallahassee, Florida

SNAP means Sulfamate Nickel Anti Pit, so check our Chemicals Directory, and ask the vendors who sell chemicals for nickel electroplating if they have an additive for known functional properties for sulfamate nickel plating.

tom pullizzi portrait

Usually you should not mix generic chemicals into proprietary chemicals; rather, you should follow the instructions of the proprietary chemical supplier as to what to mix into it. But, in generic terms, sodium laurel sulphate (baby shampoo) is a useful wetting agent for nickel plating.

Doesn't baby shampoo have other organics that may cause problems? Also what concentration of shampoo would you suggest?

Ben Poquette
- Blacksburg, Virginia

Shampoo certainly has other chemicals in it, Ben. In fact, it could have certain ingredients one day and different ingredients the next because the manufacturer is always free to change the formulation. I would not recommend baby shampoo. I did suggest that sodium laurel sulphate might be a useful wetting agent, while discouraging adding such generic chemicals to plating baths. But in any event you don't mix wetting agent by volume, you measure the surface tension and maintain enough wetting agent to reach the desired value, often 40-45 dynes/cm for nickel plating.

(2006)

I have found that SLES (Sodium Laurel Ether Sulfate) to be an excellent wetting agent used in Nickel Sulfamate baths. It is the chemical spec'd by the OEM for one of our units, and has been running with great results for almost two years without any carbon treatment. I am also very familiar with SNAP, but have found that it stains parts more easily than SLES, and requires periodic carbon treat. Someone previously mentioned that SLS (Sodium Laurel Sulfate) is a good wetting agent. Seeing the results I have for the Ether would confirm that, I think, and I have been running some tests with SLS lately. Seems to be working well.

Robert Bock
- Commerce, California, USA