Suitable plating to put on phosphorus bronze

2001

Q. What kind of metal plating should I use for Phosphorus bronze? How to ensure that a smooth surface finish is obtained after plunging the metal parts into desirable shapes?

Lau Shir Ling

2001

A. Hi Lau. You can plate them with pretty much any metal you want. After you have fabricated the parts, and before plating them, they may need mechanical finishing; although you may get some micro-leveling from nickel plating, in general you can't really count on the plating process to smooth the parts.

2001

A. I use Nickel plating on phosphor bronze which are used as contacts on my plating tanks.

Khozem Vahaanwala
Khozem Vahaanwala
Saify Ind supporting advertiser
Bangalore, Karnataka, India

saify logo

2001

My First Question is: Does nickel plating followed by gold plating onto phosphorous bronze give you the best plating?

My Second Question is: So the only way to ensure the smoothness of the surface of metal plating is to undergo a mechanical finishing prior to metal plating?

Lau Shir Ling [returning]

A. Hi again, Lau.
1. Nickel plating followed by gold plating should be a very nice finish! But 'best' is a very difficult & open concept, and it cannot be said unless you tell us what parameters you have in mind (cost, appearance, wear resistance, corrosion resistance, temperature resistance) and how you rank them. 2. Mechanical finishing is almost always required if you want to improve the finish. In certain circumstances and for certain materials electropolishing is possible, but I doubt that it will be helpful for you. Good luck.

Plating tin on phos bronze

Q. We are having a hard time getting a uniform looking finish of bright tin on phos bronze. I am wondering if anyone can share the best pre-process for electroplating bright tin onto it?

Vic Vega
- Chicago, Illinois USA

A. My experience has been that phosphorous bronze will require an Electrolytic Copper coating before bright Tin plating

Marvin Sevilla
- Managua, Nicaragua