Effect of rate of deposition on the adhesion of hard chrome plating
I'm a metallurgical engineering student here in the philippines and I'm a having research right now. I just wanna know whats the effect of the concentration of the plating bath and current density on the adhesion of hard chrome plate. and also the effect of rate of deposition on the adhesion of plate and how could you actually measure the concentration at certain times in the plating process. hope you could helpMarlon Cariazo
Hi, Marlon. None of those factors should affect adhesion. Adhesion should be perfect, with the steel ripping before the bond.
The easiest way to measure concentration is with a hygrometer which simply bobs in the solution at a depth inversely proportional to the specific gravity of the solution. Good luck.
Ted Mooney, P.E.
Pine Beach, New Jersey
Your question can be answered in many ways.
1. The cleanliness of surface play bigger role in adhesion. Anodic degreasing is better.
2. You might add temperature and ratio in your study.
3. High or low current density will give poor brightness.
4. High current density will give roughness. Same with high or low ratio.
5 High ratio will give poor hardness.
Please take hull cell and do trials. Good luck.Payal Mag
- Charlotte, North Carolina
If you have a question in mind which seems off topic, please Search the Site