23+ years of serious education, promoting Aloha,
& the most fun you can have in metal finishing smiley

Plating Vs. Anodize

I have an aluminum 6061 housing. As there are some thread holes and shelf inside the housing which needes good electrical connection, I have two options:

1. Anodize + Masking
2. Electroless Nickel Plating.

I check with first anodizing house, they have some problem with masking the bare aluminum. Therefore, they have to Iridite first and put the mask on and then anodize. Is this a proper process?

How expesnsive EN nickel plating will be compared with Anodize + Masking?

Thanks a lot!

David Lin
- Laurel, Maryland

It sounds to me like you are getting good advise! I would suspect that the electroless nickel plating will cost less than the chromate conversion coating, masking, anodizing, and stripping of the maskant because it sounds much less labor intensive unless the parts are unusual. Which of the two approaches is better, however, depends on the application.