Salt on Chrome Problem

Well I want to buy some 20 inch chrome wheels for my truck, but the problem is that winter is approaching, and my question will the rims get damaged if driven on the snow, or would it be a good idea to just use the stock ones during the snow?

Scott Mier
- Aurora, Colorado

Just as a chrome truck bumper is more resistant to scratching than a painted or plastic one, properly plated chrome wheels are more durable than painted ones. But the problem will likely be your expectations: whereas you'd probably do no more than shrug if the paint got scratched on a painted wheel, I'm sure you'd scream bloody murder if the chrome got scraped off of a wheel after you paid hundreds of dollars for the plating service.

Scott,

If you keep your rims nice and clean and DRY, sure you could use them in winter. The operative word is DRY.

May I suggest you don't ... just use some grotty old rims for winter and keep the chrome ones for summer ... that's what I used to do (snows for winter, summer tires for summer as they are also much better than all seasons on the dry & wet).

Now if you are putting on really wide rims, OW! For winter you'd need a few 'tons of lead' at the back over the rear axle to prevent fishtailing! min. l00 lbs!

Cheers!