Sandblast or Pickle?

My company is currently using 13 ga T-304 stainless steel with a 2B finish for manufacturing non-slip flooring for the transit industry. After fabricating the panels, we lightly sandblast the parts and then a plasma spray process is used to apply the non-slip surface.

After applying the plasma spray, we are experiencing some slight warpage/bowing. I would like to know if having the sheets pickled would help resolve this problem by eliminating the stresses caused by the sandblasting. If this is a viable option, I would like to know who could perform this service for us. My understanding is that pickling is usually done by the mills at the time of rolling, however we were not aware that this process might be required at the time of ordering.

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Keith T. Gerhart
- Kulpsville, Pennsylvania, USA

Your problem may also be uneven heating and warping of the plate. If possible, try heating the part before plasma spraying to avoid the sudden stresses that can warp the part, and allow the part to cool slowly for the same reasons. Unless you see the warping right after blasting it's unlikely that is the problem. I don't believe pickling will help.

Jeff Watson
Jeff Watson
- Pearland, Texas